Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Three Ideas

In the spirit of my first project I would really like to continue with the hand drawn, or hand done, elements in my films. So my first idea is inspired by a short film that I saw called "pieces." I want to undertake a similar project focusing on the process of making a work of art. But through this process I would like to create a sort of narrative, leading the viewer on a "journey" (if you will).

1) Using cut paper and a camera on a tripod I will explore evolution. An animal rising out of a primordial blob and then evolving beyond humanity, into the cosmos.

2) Using a combination of cut paper and pencil drawings I would like to do an exploration of design in terms of stop motion. Showing the relationship between type and shapes and negative shapes. (maybe do a diagram of sorts blowing something up and examining the smaller parts, could be interesting.)

3) Inspired by a flip book and old school 2D animation I think it would be interesting to do a short story completely drawn by hand. Perhaps invoking some of the film techniques we have seen but in the realm of 2D. Focus on the abstract. Focus on how shapes can invoke emotions, and how their relationship to each other can change those emotions. Focus on how the violence or smoothness of a paint stroke can completely change the image on the screen.

I know that I should probably experiment more with the filming process, but the idea of making a 2-dimensional work of art come to life is very exciting to me.

3

4 comments:

  1. I think a combination of ideas one and two could be nice. The first idea seems strictly conceptual and the second purely based in the realm of a study of form. PERFECT! study the relationship between shapes and design, while also exploring the notion of evolution, I think independently both may be lacking one thing or another, but together they could work really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 3rd idea sounds the strongest to me because it seems to have the most potential for exploration. I also watched part of that movie pieces and what made it so interesting to me was the textures of thick paint overlapping and the very graphical subjects moving through the abstract backgrounds. If you didn't check out William Kentridge i would strongly suggest so, because he does many videos using frame by frame drawing and erasing. He also shows himself doing the drawings and his interaction with the space around him when doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Michael on combining ideas one and two. Visually one sounds the most interesting, Two sounds like it could be really informative, but really boring. So maybe using diagrams and design qualities to express the ideas of evolution. Design applies to everything, and evolution in itself could be an idea of design. So this seems to be the most interesting exploration (if you will) to lead your viewer on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't sure if you already knew about this-but here's the link to the collages on my blog. Her work is amamaahhhhzzzinnngg.

    http://setediasete.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete