Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Assignment 1 Write up

After dealing with numerous frustrations as to how I would handle the first assignment I watched a very inspirational stop motion movie on behance (a professional portfolio site.) I started to make a collage stop action film like the one I had just seen, however, I failed miserably and became even more frustrated. Then for some reason I started thinking about how I loved those animations that seemed to come to life from seemingly mundane circumstances. So I started drawing. At first it was more abstract dealing with shapes and lines but I got a little more bold and decided to make a little story. The result was "A Simple Story." I had so much fun making this little film and though it is not technically perfect (as I have no idea, truly how to make such a film) I think a lot of it's character is a result of this. In closing I hope only that it is as much a pleasure to watch as it was for me to make.

3 comments:

  1. Your video seems to have a very linear narrative with a definite beginning and end. The cuts seem to be at the same pace throughout. I think the texture of the pieces of eraser adds to the piece revealing that it is on paper. I would like to see more variety in the pace of cuts. Also, the sound added to the piece but I would like it to be a less familiar song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that the tools which were used to create this narrative are visible throughout the film. This creates a dichotomy between the creation and the creator. The film now includes a subplot of the artist, leaving trails of eraser to assume the roles of dust flying in the breeze. This meta-animation (METAMATION!) draws the audience to ask more questions about the artist (to me, more than the narrative). Really great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This video seems to have almost no editing done in the computer, which makes sense with the hand-made quality of the piece. The tools, the eraser marks, this film makes no effort to hide that it is handmade, and not fully reliant on editing software. Conceptually, this is interesting, but for this assignment, I'd like to see more editing techniques, maybe it's as simple as shorter shot lengths at the end of the film, something to reinforce the story, and to create a more interesting rhythm.

    ReplyDelete