Thursday, September 17, 2009

Artist Lecture

I found her discourse on the labor or rather the "work" of art to be very interesting. But throughout the lecture I could not help but think of the fact that society has the willingness to entertain the notionthat anything is art if the artist tells them so. While I greatly respected most of the artists work as art there were some pieces that I could not help calling bullsh** on. An obsessive compulsive person barely counts as an artist, unless of course their obsession is art. I think that I just failed to see the idea behind using the labor as the art. To me, why not just go build a house? Is everyone that labors an artist? The difference that she failed to mention was that all of these artists used more labor to create their art, but their labor was not their art, merely an effect thereof.

Overall, I thought she spoke very well and brought a very unique, and well educated opinion to the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment